Tuesday 30 April 2013

Cooking with Leftovers - Part II


I recently tried out something new with leftovers; which I wanted to share here. As is the case usually, I had some leftover vegetables - Paneer and Gobi sabzi along with a couple of rotis from morning. As evening dawned I felt like munching something light. I considered it for a few moments. Here is what I did:

I chopped some onion and tomato and stir fried it. Added the leftover vegetables, lightly frying it along. Added a helping of the paneer sabzi masala from the what was leftover and mixed it all together.

Then I took my rotis, applied ghee on both sides and heated them on the tava till they turned a warm brown and slightly crispy.
I then spread out the sabzi mix onto the rotis and rolled it up into a nice looking kathi roll look-alike. I cut it into equal halves and ... 

... A great snack materialized in just about 15 mins.



If you have ideas on leftover food preparation, I’d definitely like to hear from you. Feel free to type out in the comments section below!

Also check out my earlier post on cooking with leftovers here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deepak,
    Really liked your leftovers section. And I think your roti-kathi rolls recipe sounds really good. Will definitely try it!
    I have a leftovers paratha pizza recipe too which I'd like to share. Its not that great but still I hope you like it.
    We had some aloo parathas that we ordered extra and leftover capsicum pieces from a salad. I chopped some onions into long slenders and heated a little oil on a pan and added some butter & little jeera. I let it splutter and added onions and fried them on medium heat till they turned a faint brown. I added the capsicum and salt to taste and fried them till the onions were caramelized. Next, I cut the paratha into halves and divided them further into two equal parts. I layered them with tomato ketchup (pizza sauce would be better) and added grated cheese as much as I wanted. I then spread out the capsicum-onions mixture on the layer of ketchup and cheese. I put the paratha to heat on the pan on medium flame. I didn't add oil as the paratha was already cooked earlier. Some butter can surely be put on the pan. I covered with a lid and let it cook for about 3-4 mins checking the pan once in a while. After the cheese begins to ooze I put it off heat. It can also be prepared in a microwave oven instead of the pan. I topped it with some oregano and chilli flakes we had extra from Dominos.
    So there it is, my quick paratha-pizza recipe. Hope you try it and like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nayan,
      Thanks for stopping by and sorry for the delay in response.
      Good idea of converting the paratha into a pizza and good use of the leftover ingredients in your version. Will try it sometime when I have leftover parathas ;-). Thanks for sharing!

      Delete