Saturday 10 December 2011

Breakfast at Airlines!!!!!



Location: Bangalore (Lavelle Road)


This Sunday I was up early! My first thought was to go for South Indies breakfast buffet. On stepping out, I had to change my mind. In this lovely Bangalore weather with the cool breeze and the warm sun I thought we would be better off in an open place, where you can sit back, relax and enjoy hot filter coffee and food!

It struck me then. It had to be Airlines! Located on Lavelle Road it’s a must visit for all the early birds on weekends (it’s open throughout the day though). The place is nothing great in terms of seating, ambience, hospitality but, it’s still great! I’ll tell you what I like about the place.


For starters, the place is open air. There are a couple of dozen tables and plastic chairs put together under a large banyan tree. Having breakfast in the open place surrounded by trees with sunrays filtering through the leaves makes up for an awesome ambience! It’s also easy on your pocket! ;-)

What’s so unique about this place however is that they also serve inside your car if you so desire!! I guess that’s why they call it airlines. Maybe??

It’s better known for the south Indian variety but, it does have Parathas, Chinese, Chole Bhatoore and Hot Jalebis. You won’t get hot out of the pan idlis and vadas but they are still good. Khara bhaat again is great esp. when they serve you piping hot! But, nothing beats the Filter Coffee here. Served in those tall glasses the aroma fills your nostrils and you simply have to have it! For me one glass is just not enough!! :-)

My food favourites at Airlines are Idli Chutney, Khara Bhaat and Masala Dosa.

This one time I went ahead and tried their aloo paratha. But that didn’t turn out to be very good. Besides it was made of maida! Their Chole Bhatoore were just okay, not that great. The safest bet is to have their south Indian and coffee!

The place is thronged by all categories of people throughout the day. You will find people of all shapes and sizes, from students to families, from hippies to expats/foreigners, from couples to biker gangs. It’s a pleasure to be in the midst of such diversity!

People often drive down in their open jeeps with family or friends and enjoy the food in the back of their vehicles. Really fun to watch! Makes me want to own my own open jeep! :-((

The compound also houses a Corner House for ice-creams and Coconut Express for some other desserts to cater to your sweet tooth! Do try the Hot Chocolate Fudge from Corner House. I just love it! A small pizza joint is also nestled for those interested.

So all you lazy folks get up and get going! Breakfast at Airlines!!!!!

3 comments: